I bought 2 yards of Fosshape and a very large Styrofoam cone for the basis of the hat. Fosshape shrinks when heated, so I cut a 2 cone shapes larger than the cone out of the Fosshape and sewed them together. I then turned the cone right-side out to hide the stitching and heat shrunk it to the cone.
|Fosshape sewn cone|
After the cone was formed, I cut a large round piece for the hat brim and attempted to heat shrink to stiffen the hat brim. Heat shrinking a flat large disk was really hard and I ended up with many holes and a brim that was not stiff enough! I attempted to fix this by wiring the brim edge and hiding the wire with a length of Fosshape. After this, I dyed both the crown and the brim. The Fosshape took dye fairly well, but the damaged areas died less strongly and the dye bath weakened the already floppy brim.
|Small pin prick holes due to heat|
I did end up with a completed hat in time to wear it for the first wearing of Lock, Shock and Barrel, however I think I will redo this hat in the near future. I am thinking about simply adding more wire to the base of this one and then fabric covering the whole thing, but have not decided yet.