To make the flowers able to light up clearly I made them out of transparent Worbla thermoplastic. This stuff is really fun to work with. You simply heat it with a heat gun and shape it. Basically, I cut shapes like you would out of felt to make roses and heated them to shape them together. I made both large and small roses, 4 of each.
He used this same set up to light up a crystal in the top of his steampunk cane. The major differences are that the cane used a NeoPixel ring and that the calibration was different. He can turn the cane upside down and my head cant turn that far. Basically the motion of my head causes the lights to change color and the calibration makes even small movements change the color of the roses.
|hat base side|
|hat upside down to show dart|
I made a hat base out of 2 layers of felt and one layer of really stiff, heavy Pellon interfacing. Basically this is a very elongated oval. I darted the back to make it fit my head. I then wired the edge and covered the wire with bias tape.
One the base was made I stitched all the circuitry to the hat and hid the circuitry with faux rose leaves. I then stitched the clear flowers to the hat base and accented the base with small red and large white roses. The three roses at the back hide the arduino, accelerometer and battery.
Here are some pictures is low lighting with the hat lit up. The hat does all the colors of the rainbow and more....but the circuitry is very sensitive and it was hard to find the right angle to show all the colors. This hat is so much fun to wear and the NeoPixels are so bright!