Monday, January 19, 2015

Historical Sew Monthly! My first goal of 2015

I have always wanted to participate in the Historical Sew Fortnightly, but was too intimidated by the new item every 2 weeks plan.  I loved following those who did participate and was so inspired by what other made with those challenges.  This year, since there is a month for every challenge, I thought I would try and participate.  I am so excited!

I am still figuring out what I want to make for each challenge, but I have started on the first one which is listed below

January – Foundations: make something that is the foundation of a period outfit.

I was very inspired by an article on Foundations Revealed on the creation of a corset from a patent.  The patent is from 1883 filed by Catharine A. Griswold.  Sandra Stuart, who wrote the article, made an amazing corset using this patent and I absolutely loved the look.

Here is the link to the patent Patent 291335 and below are the 2 main images from the patent to give you and idea of the shape of the corset and the pattern pieces.  I absolutely love that this corset has straps!



 I did my first attempt at resizing the corset and it was complete failure!  I took the pattern pieces and resized them in Photoshop.  The measurements all looked good, however when I got it put it was completely wrong.  The bust measurement has most of the area in the actual bust, where as I am fairly small busted but apparently wide across the back for this pattern.  I could not lace the top at all and the front gaped quite alarmingly.  The corset also compressed my ribs too much for any comfort and the hip shape was poor for me. I will try again to alter the pattern for my shape and hopefully round 2 will fit well enough that I can at least get a picture.

1 comment:

  1. A corset with straps!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete